Making your own Almond Milk is a great way to save money, plus you don’t end up with all the additives that most store bought types have.
If you are dairy free Almond milk is a great alternative, you can use it in place of regular milk in recipes and baking, is a low glycemic alternative to Dairy milk, Soy Milk and Rice Milk which makes it (Paleo Friendly). Also it doesn’t cause problems with hormone levels like soy milk does(read my article on why soy is bad)
To make it follow these easy steps below…
- 1 cup Raw Almonds
- 4 cups pure filtered water
- ½ tsp sea salt
1. Soak almonds for at least 12 hours in pure water with the salt. Make sure you do this step as it breaks down the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors and cultures beneficial enzymes in the almonds.
2. Rinse almonds well. Mix almonds with pure water in blender.
3. Blend few minutes until smooth and creamy.
4. Strain mixture into a large bowl through a fine sieve, cheese cloth or kitchen towel, or a Milk Bag (needs to be something very fine to not let the pulp through)
5. Pour into glass jar and store in fridge for up to one week
6. To make it sweet you can add some honey or dates once you have strained it. I just have mine plain with no sweetener added as I use it in smoothie bowls and smoothies which are usually naturally sweetened with the fruit I add.
- Note keep the pulp! Use it to make Almond crackers, I will be posting the recipe up for this soon.