LCHF, Paleo, Keto, Gluten Free, Dairy free, No preservatives and No thickeners.
Who doesn’t love gravy, especially on these cold winter days when you just want comfort food! I always cook my roasts with at least a couple of carrots, 1 red onion and garlic, and then use this as a base to make my gravy. All the tasty juice from the meat and veg and any spices you have used just make the best gravy and beats the horrible packet stuff any day.
Ingredients / Instructions:
- Pour Juice / fat from beef or whatever meat you have roasted (chicken /Lamb/Pork) into a saucepan. Pop this into your freezer until the fat has risen to the top and skim off the top leaving a thin layer of fat.
- Add the following to the saucepan (should just have juice and a tiny bit of fat in it)
- Small carrots that have been cooked with the roast.
- 1tbs of cooked red onion.
- Water - you want to make about 1 cup so whatever you get from the beef juice make up the rest with water.
- 2 Tbs Matakana Coco not soy.
- Salt and pepper (go easy on the salt as the coco not soy sauce is quite salty.
- Bring the pot to a light simmer.
- Remove and blend with a hand blender until you have a smooth and thick consistency.
- Return to heat and heat through.
- Pour into a pouring jug and serve right away.
*Any left overs can be used next day or popped in the freezer to use for next time or use as a stock to flavour dishes.
* You can re-use the fat that you have scraped off the stock by storing in a glass jar, and just cook with it like you would use any other fat/ oil for savoury dishes.